Friday, March 29, 2013

What we did, What we saw.

We're landing! My heartbeat quickens. First because that was the quickest, shortest, bounciest landing with the brakes,  I'm sure,  pushed fully to the floor to stop this big metal tube of death.....
and secondly because I had made it! I couldn't wait to see what was out those doors.

I'd already decided that I was going to fully embrace whatever was going to happen without the fear of anyone judging me. It was a good thing
because over the course of the next few days I would quickly become a 
HOT MESS


Getting through customs wasn't THAT bad. Lots of bodies- hot bodies- bodies that don't wear deodorant, jammed into long lines. Getting our visas, finding our luggage and then exchanging money (which was a little crazy) went pretty smoothly. We had a slight scare getting all the donations through the xray machine that checks each piece
of luggage before it exits the terminal, which means that
there is a small possibility "the stuff" could be confiscated for other uses.

After loading every one's luggage onto carts we made our way out of the front doors. I was immediately shocked by how blue the sky was- 
I'm talking
 BLUE. 
I know the sky here is blue too....but this sky was BLUE BLUE!

Making our way down the ramp to the parking lot proved challenging as several times my cart would hit a bump and send my luggage flying off all over the place! The parking lot was full of Ethiopians in groups standing around people watching. I think (if I remember right) I was told that the airport is kind of like a local hangout.

We definitely stuck out as a large group of white (fringi) Americans as we watched several locals who work with One Child Campaign load all our luggage up onto three vans that would be carting us around for the week, and taking us to our Guesthouse where we would be staying in Addis.


*Photo By Karen Brewer

First things First:

The traffic was intense! There are no street signs, street lights, crosswalks, and nothing directing traffic. There were small three-wheeled taxi's everywhere zipping in and out between cars, vans, cattle, goats, donkeys with carts, and people who walk literally everywhere. I learned very quickly that horns are the most important part on a vehicle, and our group quickly became divided between the thrill seekers who loved it (me!) and those that preferred seat belts and traffic lights.

*Photo By Karen Brewer

The scenery was amazing. Truly like nothing Ive ever seen before. Half built structures with scaffolding everywhere, mountains all around, open markets, animals, thick smog,
~Dirt~
dirty people
dirty children
Overwhelming Poverty

A quick 15 minute drive and we arrived at the Guesthouse. Lots of space to fit in lots of people. Three women who stay there to "take care" of the guests greeted us as we made our way inside into our designated rooms, and picked out our bunks. 




We moved in quickly wanting to get settled after the long trip and then we had our first challenge:
We learned that there was a water shortage
and we had very little water
*Photo By Melanie Strobel

We were faced with our first opportunity to
GRUMBLE
But we didn't
The water would be an on going issue throughout the week as well as spotty Internet connections but it was amazing to see how people immersed in first world luxuries all their lives would rise to the occasion of dry shampooing, baby wipe baths and no social media! (And by the middle of the week we did figure out the shower situation and did hit up a few places with Internet.)

All of us were here to focus on other things


That first night we went out across the dirt road to a field and played soccer with some of the local kids. That was the start of my undoing! I knew that this was going to be an
emotional whirlwind and I was ready for it!



*Photos By Melanie Strobel

During our trip we visited several ministries or models as they call them to bring donations like clothing, shoes, hygiene products, children's toys, books, anything and everything you can think of that people who have nothing can use. We visited ministries that were empowering women helping them to maintain jobs and regain some of their dignity that's lost in only ways you can imagine. We visited ministries that created new families by putting children together with widows giving them a sense of purpose and the children a sense of family. We visited a ministry that reunites trafficked women and children back with their families who have so desperately been searching for them, and day cares that love on little ones while their mothers work. 

We visited Chapa Carepoint in Awassa to witness children singing, dancing, feasting- despite having little to nothing. The two days spent there changed me in more ways then ever...what's going on there is tangible and it will grab you and suck you in. It's the place that leaves me up at night, wondering
how I will get back~

SO...

A lot of people have asked me:
"So what did you do in Ethiopia?"
And I usually say:
"Well, we didn't build houses,"
and then I laugh because I've got about 5 minutes to explain something 
that has taken me weeks to understand. 

Here's what we did~
We created sustainable relationships...Like Christ did.
 We made connections
that will go on to help make a difference, like Christ did. 
And then those little differences lead to
BIGGER differences that eventually morph into one
LARGE BLOB OF "DIFFERENCE"
that will and can create
REAL CHANGE!

Here's what we saw~
We saw individuals working together to create differences that will have lasting effects
We saw women striving to take care of their families and getting back dignity
We saw people, families reestablishing the feelings of hope
We saw children relax as their feet were washed
We saw a truly kind people with the deepest brown imploring eyes
that fill with laughter over anything
We saw young girls learn about their bodies
We saw adoptive parents meet their children's family members
We saw the construction of a new care point
We saw people walking miles just to get water
We saw beggars lying in the street with their children
We saw women walking miles with 250lbs of Eucalyptus branches on their backs
We saw children with no shoes, no clothes and no options: HAPPY
We saw people picking through trash for food
We saw sorrow
We saw joy
We saw devastation
We saw grace
We saw LOVE

We saw Jesus in Disguise


I hope that everyone has a Happy Easter
and thank you for reading!
Next Post: 
All about Chapa and My "Things"








1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog through facebook and blog links... Not sure how I ended up here... but you speak my heart's language. I was in Ethiopia 3 years ago and ache to go back. We are discerning what God is calling our family to... and all of your trip was is what aches in me to return to the red soil and beautiful people in a country that part of our family comes from. To be Jesus in disguise is why so many go, but to than see Jesus in disguise is such a blessing.
    I hope you keep writing!

    ReplyDelete